Water Aerobics Exercises Are Not Just For Grandma
There are several water aerobics exercises you can do…all in a low impact enviornment.
The body is almost weightless in the water, which makes it ideal for increasing lower body strength, power and agility. A great one to learn for anyone at any level of exercise… the power jumps.
More so then that, water aerobic exercises, like swimming, are the best form of exercise in terms of calories burned and toning of muscle. We find the best results come from a combination of things.
The power jumps is a great exercise that can be performed in-between laps. Follow the steps below as close as possible.
Water Aerobic Exercises – The Power Jump Steps
1. Start in shallow water. The water level should be between the ribcage and the underarm.
2. Jog around the pool and do kicks, jumping jacks, strides and knee lifts to warm up the body for 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Lightly stretch the quadriceps, calf muscles, hip flexors and hamstrings.
4. Perform the moves in step 2 at a higher intensity for 8 to 10 minutes. Make the movements long and exaggerated.
5. Execute a tuck jump. Start in a standing position, then keep the knees and ankles together as you pull the knees into the chest. Return to a standing position. Move the arms in a circular motion at the side of the body; the arms lengthen as the knees lift, and bend at the elbow as the legs straighten.
6. Perform a frog jump. Begin with the toes, knees and thighs slightly turned out. The arms are bent in a diamond shape, with the fists close to the chest. Push the arms down to the hips while lifting the legs up and into a diamond shape. The knees point to each side at the top of the jump and mimic frog legs. Return to the starting position.
7. Execute a scissors jump. Start in a standing position. As you jump, one leg moves straight forward and the other moves directly behind the body. Alternate front and back. The arms move in opposition to the legs.
8. Begin in a standing position for a heel lift. While keeping the knees and heels close together, jump and lift the heels toward the buttocks. The heels should not lift higher than knee height.
The arms are extended away from the body at shoulder height, slightly rounded at the elbows. As you lift the legs, pull the arms down to the hips.
9. Kick the legs and jog for two to three minutes.
10. Stretch the quadriceps, hamstrings, hip flexors and calves deeply. Any Weight Loss Exercises must include stretching.
Good luck and have fun. Remember, it’s about finding an exercise you can do and enjoy. Maybe water aerobics exercises are for you…go find out!