The safety of bariatric surgery is well established. It is a safe and effective weight loss procedure for morbidly obese people resistant to losing weight.
However, like all surgeries, there are complications and side effects associated with the procedure that your doctor will discuss with you.
Regardless of the type of bariatric procedure, there are common problems that may arise. These include:
- Development of Acid Reflux Disease
- Post-prandial Emesis (vomiting after you eat)
- Stomach Pain
- Excessive Gas
- Food Intolerance (red meats and sugars)
- Change in Bowel Habits
More serious complications include:
- Dumping Syndrome — Caused by sugar and results in lightheadedness, faintness, weakness, sweating, palpitations, nausea, cramps, and possibly vomiting or diarrhea.
- Bleeding (rare)
- Bowel Leakage leading to infections (rare)
- Gastroparesis (paralyzed bowel-rare)
Potential Complications Of The Different Types of Bariatric Surgery
Complications Specific to Gastric Bypass
- Acid Reflux Disease
- Post-meal Emesis (vomiting)
- Dumping Syndrome (sweets can cause anxiety, sweating, lightheadedness, nausea/vomiting, burping)
- Post-surgical Bleeding (rare)
Complications Specific to Gastric-Banding
- You may bleed too much or get an infection
- You may get blood clots
- Your esophagus or other organs may be injured during surgery
- The gastric band may slip out of place, break or leak
- The band may cause a scar or may erode (eat into) the stomach tissue
- You may have problems during laparoscopic surgery that cause you to need open surgery
- Stomach ulcers
- Anemia if you don’t get enough protein
Make sure that you consult your doctor and discuss any concerns in detail before making any decisions.
A BETTER ALTERNATIVE
Because of the potential complications and side effects, we believe there is a another alternative. Before opting for surgery, we recommend you try a weight loss program which is designed specifically to help it’s participants lose a large amount of weight. The Gabriel Method was designed specifically for this purpose and has proved to be very effective.
If you have any questions about the safety of bariatric surgery, be sure to discuss this with your doctor. Ask about complications and side effects.